The Wiltshire at War: Community Stories project is a five year HLF funded project, aiming to bring people together from across Wiltshire to discover, explore and share stories about Wiltshire’s response to the First World War.
Project highlights are:-
- Five touring exhibitions telling different aspects of the Wiltshire at War story – these will travel to towns and villages throughout Wiltshire from 2015 to 2019.
- A touring schools’ exhibition with accompanying educational activities – these are available to all primary schools in Wiltshire.
- A series of library talks and book displays – bringing great authors to libraries throughout the county.
- A programme of community engagement sessions – inviting people to share passed down stories about their families’ experiences of the First World War.
- This website – as a place to collate the fascinating stories this project has gathered, (and for anyone to upload their own stories), creating a legacy of community memories.
Museums and history societies from all over Wiltshire have donated stories to the Wiltshire at War project. Through this website, we invite you to share with us your own stories or research which can help tell the story of Wiltshire’s response to the First World War.